Click to set custom HTM
How do I sign up for driver education?
Step #1 You must be 14 years and 6 months old! The DMV will not let you sign up unless you are 14 years and 6 months old.
Step #2 Obtain the 'Verification of Compliance' (VOC), this verifies you are 14 years and 6 months old and that you are a student of an Idaho school district. This is commonly obtained from your school's office, home-schoolers can obtain one from the county courthouse.
Step #3 You need to take ALL of the following to the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office
1. State Certified birth certificate (you may sign up with a copy, but the original is required before your license can be issued!)
Foreign born students, please contact the Sheriff's office (208) 745-9229, additional material is required.
2. Verification of Compliance
3. Social Security Number
4. Legal Parent or Guardian - guardians and step-parents must provide legal guardianship court documents and additional documents may be required.
5. Photo Identification - school activity card, yearbook, military dependent ID, or valid passport
6. Eye glasses or contacts must be worn if necessary for proper sight, an eye test will be issued!
7. Payment for Permit Fee ($21.50) - Your photo WILL be taken at the time of permit application!
Step #4 Once your permit is received your name will be placed on a waiting list, it is a first come - first served list for each class.
Step #5 Parents or guardian will be notified, by phone messenger, about an upcoming, mandatory meeting and class start date. Once enough students have signed up, a phone call will be made stating the time and place of the meeting.
Step #6 The fee for the driver education class is $170. The receipt of payment is due at the parent meeting. Payment can be made in the high school registrar's office (during school) or at the district office (during summer).
Step #7 Idaho state law requires the student and a parent/guardian attend a mandatory meeting prior to the first class. If a parent or guardian is not able to attend this meeting then the student will NOT be placed in the class. Also, the student must attend the first class or they cannot be enrolled.