Take a practice test! Download the new app.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do I need to to be 14 years and 6 months old before I can sign up for driver education?
YES! Please see course requirements page for more information.
2. Do I need to pay for the class before I take it?
YES! All fees must be paid in full! Proof of payment is required at the Parent-Student meeting. The current fee is $170.
3. When does the next class start?
New classes start approximately one week after the current class is finished. Classes usually run about 5-6 weeks during the school year and 3 weeks during the summer. See the "Current Schedule" page to estimate when the next class begins.
4. When will I be notified about the next class?
Once enough students have purchased permits a phone call will be sent out via the School Messenger System. If you don't answer the call, you will NOT be put into the next class. Please follow the instructions in the phone message to ensure your student is enrolled in the class.
5. Can I miss classes or be involved in sports or other extracurricular activities and still pass driver education?
Students are required by law to have 30 hours of class, 6 hours of guided driving, and 6 hours of observation in the driver education car. It is strongly encouraged that you adjust your schedule to attend all classes. School activities and extra curricular events, including sports, dance, cheer, and youth camps are NOT excused! Students MUST meet the state requirements.
6. Where do I sign up for driver education?
The purchase of a permit at the DMV gets you on the list for classes. Calling the school office or the DMV does NOT get you on the list.
7. Who teaches driver education?
All teachers are professional, certified Idaho educators with degrees in education and endorsements in driver education. The teachers are: Mr. Green, Mr. Thomas, Mr. Brown, Mr. Shippen, and Mr. Hall.
8. How do I track my driving time when I successfully complete the course?
There are several ways to log your hours. You can log them in the booklet handed out the last day of the course, use a notebook or a digital tracker. Here is a link to a digital tracker app. Road Ready
9. Can I drive outside of Idaho on my Graduated Driver's License?
It is always your responsibility to make sure you are following the law where you drive. It is recommended that you check with the DMV of a state you will be visiting to make sure you will be legal to drive there. Having an Idaho permit does not allow you to break the driving laws in other states!